History of Football and low hall park
The first description of a football match in England was written by William FitzStephen in about 1170. He records that while visiting London he noticed that “after dinner all the youths of the city goes out into the fields for the very popular game of ball.” He points out that every trade had their own football team.
In 1881 Haydon Bridge United FC were one of the first football clubs to be registered, and affiliated, to the Football Association (FA), making us one of the oldest surviving clubs from that era. Haydon Bridge United FC are also extremely proud to be an FA Chartered Standard Football Club.
Having played at many, and varied, venues throughout the parish for almost 85 years the trustees of the club realised the opportunity to purchase Low Hall Park, putting the football club at the very heart of the village. During the last 54 years the committee members have continued to develop Low Hall Park into a venue that can help support the sporting aspirations of the wider community.